Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Deep Fried Foods

I tried to avoid fried food, but eating it occasionally should be fine. Admitted it, these foods are just delicious.

Nian Gao / Glutinous Rice Cake Taro (Yam) Rolls
Source: foodbuzz.com
It is appealing for me to use Nian Gao and spring roll wrapper as an ingredients for snack/dessert; and after trying it out, I realized they worked perfectly well.

The filling is something which I must highlight here. The combination of sweet and salty taste from the yam, Nian Gao and grated coconut will keep you coming back for more!




Deep Fried Osyter Mushroom
Source: The Momster’s Kitchen
If you are bored with the usual stir-fried mushroom, you may try to deep fry it.

I tried the food once in a restaurant and it’s good that I managed to find the recipe from the internet. So here we are, the crunchy, potato chips-like snack.



Note: I added few more tablespoon of corn flour into the batter, to give extra crunch to the mushroom.


Crisp Tofu Balls
Source: The Star
Compared to the earlier recipe, I would say this one is better in terms of savor and texture.

Actually this recipe was with me for a long period of time and luckily it is still in good condition. I gave it a try few days ago and it turned out satisfactorily and was liken by everyone in the family (especially Sarah).





Note: I omitted the alkaline water as I do not have any in my kitchen.

17 comments:

wenn said...

I simply love crispy stuff..

MeRy said...

I never cook fried foods as it is too heaty.

MeRy said...

I never cook fried foods as it is too heaty.

Adrine said...

You are such a good cook.

I dun deep fry at home cos I dun like having oil splattering everywhere. Lazy to clean up ;)

Kitty said...

I love fried mushroom. Thank you for sharing, hope to make them one day! Looking at your food makes me hungry!!

Little Kit Boy said...

oh I love all those. I always love deep fried food but cant' take much cos I'll get sore throat very very easily.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Wenn,
Do try these recipes, it is really tasty!

Mery:
Is good that you do not cook fried foods, more healthier:-)

Adrine:
I am sure you able to cook these foods well too. :-)
- The osyter mushroom dish splashed more oil as compared to the other two. Maybe the mushroom absorbed so much liquid when I dipped it into the batter.

Kitty:
Hope you like these recipes when you tried it out.

Jenny:
Hi, thanks for dropping by. Long time did not hear from you.
How are you and Kit?
Me too, I easily get sorethroat. So if I am going to have fried food, I will need to drink plenty of water.

ChloeRuoyi said...

Your fried nian gao is very special! Looks so yummy :)

I actually quite like fried food but rarely eat any cos I'm health conscious, afraid of getting fat and I hate deep-frying food at home (don't like the splattering oil that dirty my kitchen hehe) :p

MommyAngel said...

It looks so yummy!! I can't cook this currently or else, I would get an ear full from my dad!! :P Wait till I go back to Shanghai then I will try this :)

Mummy Moon said...

I like the Nian Gao / Glutinous Rice Cake Taro (Yam) Rolls!! So special!

Mummy Moon said...

I like the Nian Gao / Glutinous Rice Cake Taro (Yam) Rolls!! So special!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Moon:
Special hor the recipe. I also never taste nian gao with spring roll wrapper b4, it taste good, really! worth a try!

Caroline:
Haha, nevermind, you curi2 try these recipes when your daddy is not at home lah:-)

HweiLi:
Chloe is very lucky to have you to keep her a healthy and balanced diet.
Is good to avoid fried food, hehe.
I know the concept, but sometimes still cant resist to have it:-)

Rose said...

Mee too. Tried to avoid fried food but they are simply too tempting! hehehe!

prince n princess mum said...

Recently like deep fries food a?

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Kylie:
Hehe, no lah.
All these photos were in my camera for quite some time. I uploaded at one time:-)

Rose:
Yes, fried food definitely is tastier but "fattier":-)

UmmiRosma said...

What is nian gao dear? are those the so-called popia? look very tempting to me....yummy!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Ummi:
It is called kuih bakul (if I am not wrong) in BM.
You may refer to this link on the pic
http://www.trymasak.my/blog/posts.php?author=trymasak&title=Hidangan+untuk+Dewa+Dapur
- Yes yes, its called popiah too.
But this one with the sweet filling.
- Is nice, really nice!