Monday, January 3, 2011

Of Mulberry, Pucuk Manis and Yao Char Kway


We know that silk worms only eat mulberry leaves and nothing else; but not all of us knew what a mulberry was and only a few of us had tasted them before. The leaves and the fruits are said to be an antioxidant and it’s good for our eyes.

I am lucky that my mom has given me the seed months ago and now the trees are bear with fruits. The ripe mulberries are delicious, sweet and juicy; Sarah likes it at first until she tasted the unripe one.

I better take good care of this plant as I have this natural source of herbal remedy right in front of my house.




This is the first time I saw the fruit of Sweet Leaves Bush (aka “Pucuk Manis”). I never know they did bear fruit!

I still remembered I love using their flowers as “earing” when I was a little girl…hmm…maybe I should let Sarah wear one and snap a photo someday.




Sarah and I fall in love with Chinese cruller (Youtiao/Yao Char Kway) lately. The other day we’ve bought some new flavour of the fried bun; we have chosen yam paste and chocolate filling.

It definitely gives a new twist of it over the traditional flavour.

By the way, this would be my first post of the year, Happy New Year to all of you.

14 comments:

Alice Law said...

LOL, chocolate and yam filling cruller are definitely something new to me, I don't mind have some!

Mulberry?! I really didn't now we can rare this plant here, something new for me too! Thanks for sharing!

ChloeRuoyi said...

I've never seen a real mulberry fruit before and didn't know about its antioxidant properties. Maybe I should go hunting for some seeds and start planting one too. Is it easy to plant/grow? I'm really bad with plants. Everything that I plant always dies :(

Small Kucing said...

oo you call it pucuk manis ah...my side call it cakur manis..ya it got buah but dont think canm eat the buah

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Kathy:
Actually all the while I have no idea about the malay name until I write this post, hehe.
You have seen the buah before? So far, I only see the bunga and not the buah.

HweiLi:
It is really easy to grow the plant. I am bad with plants too, but luckily the mulberry plant is growing big and green now:-)

Alice:
For me, the new flavours of crullers is just ok ok. I still prefer the traditional type of Yao Char Kway.
- You are most welcome about the info sharing.
Nice day!

MeRy said...

Mulberry and pucuk manis...? what is that?
I am so blurr la..never heard of it before.

cleffairy said...

Pucuk manis? I grew up calling that cekur manis. =D

http://cleffairy.com

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Good Morning Cleff,
Yea, I think it has few names for the vege. I always named it "shu Zei Zhoi" (cantonese). But for this post, I google search and found the name as Pucuk Manis.

Mery:
Hehe, is ok.
I guess you will know the Pucuk Manis or some of my blogger frens named it as cekur manis. The vege that normally we found inside the Pan Mee soup. I named it ""shu Zei Zhoi" in cantonese.
- As for the mulberry plant, actually it is not often seen. It looks like a normal tree but it seems have special herbal remedy.

Mummy Gwen said...

Hi Joanne, thanks for your comments. Gwen and I are doing fine.

Mulberry leaves can be eaten? I also don't about this pucuk manis..hehe.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Mommy Gwen:
Great to hear from you.
- For the mulberry leaves, normally it is used to boil "liong cha". As for the mulberries, yes, it can be eaten.
- You know "shu zei choi", the vege that normally found in Pan Mee Soup, that's the pucuk manis.

mNhL said...

i real bad about plants. haha....

i love those fried buns.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Hui Li:
Actually I am poor in gardening too but touch wood, this plant grows!
- Yes, fried bun is nice but too bad I can't eat it too often.

UmmiRosma said...

Oh that mulberry plant...mine is growing well but always been attacked by the whitish bugs and ants. I hate those cruel insects disturbing the fruiting fruits. Then hubby pruned the stems and now it is growing and fruiting well...i hope so. How do you protect your mulberry well? I cant spray with insecticides as they are fruiting well..so how? So sad when all the fruits were mostly eaten by the insects... :(

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Ummi:
Oo..your plant is being attacked by bugs? So far mine one is ok. I have seen the white colour bug before, I hate them too. They love to attack my other plant. Normally I will try to use some stick to pick them out one by one.
I am sorry that I do not know what worked best for your plant as I am really poor in gardening.
Happy Gardening!

Julie said...

How to plant mulberry? Using seed? Where can I get it?