Monday, May 4, 2009

Porridge and Cake

Cranberry Beans, Hairy Cucumber and French Beans Porridge
Now only I know pink beans (what I used to call it) also known as Cranberry Beans. This time, I am able to get it from Jusco cold storage section instead of asking my mom to buy it from her place. So much easier!

I’ve used Cranberry Beans, Hairy Cucumber and French Beans as the porridge ingredients. I also added some onions into it. I’ve seen many mommies using it as one of the ingredient, so I thought to try too.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outcome:

The porridge has a wonderful aroma. I think it comes from the onion. It does not taste as good as smell though, it just lack a bit of sweetness in it.

I always use marmite as my last resort when the foods taste blunt. Once the marmite being added into the porridge, it tastes great! Sarah just loves it. She finished the whole pot of it.




Butter Cake

I got the recipe from Mommy Gwen. I am not a big fan of butter cake, but I kind of like this one.

I faced some problem with the ingredients when I start the baking process. According to the recipe, it requires some self-raising flour; but I don’t have such a thing…Thank God, I am able to google search that it can be substitute with the mixture of all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt (I really learnt something this time).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outcome:



Well, the cake does not taste very “buttery” or “milky” (Just suits my taste).

But I am wondering why most of my cake has a crispy topping? I thought it is suppose to be soft? Am I over-bake?

18 comments:

Mummy Gwen said...

Well done. Your butter cake looks good. Oh..you don't have self raising flour and managed to find alternative huh...so smart of you..hehe. About the crispy topping, did you use the skewer to test the cake?

The porridge looks yummy and smooth.

FAMILY FIRST said...

Hey not to bad actually! Your cake rack shd be in the middle rack so that both the top and bottom wont get burnt easily.

Merryn said...

Hairy cucumber sounds scary! LOL! the cake looks yummy! i can smell it rite now.. haih..

little prince's mummy said...

Nice cooking and baking!~

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Kylie:
Thanks my dear.

Merryn:
Haha scary name hor, but I like it. Taste good! You like it?
Thanks for your comment about the cake. How nice if I can send you some.

Family First:
Actually I placed the cake rack in the middle rack, but it still looked burnt on the top. I think maybe I have over baked it.
Anyway, thanks for your comment.

Mommy Gwen:
I gotto thank you for sharing the recipe. I like it.
Yalor, last min only I know that I am short of self raising flour. Luckily google helped me alot.
I did tested with skewer, it looked clean, and meaning cook right?
The porridge taste not bad too. Thanks!

the little prince said...

May be can add some pork or chicken so the porridge will taste better?

Julie said...

Do you mash the cranberry beans when serving? I have yet to try that for Jonathan coz he seems to dislike sticky stuff.

Onion is tasty but not too much coz it's gassy.

And you reminded me to introduce marmite to Jonathan. Thanks! :P

Oliveoylz said...

The combo is imaginative and healthy. I'll try it for DQ when she's into solids.

MeRy said...

Yummy cake...

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Mery:
Thanks!

Olive:
Hope DQ will like the combo:-)

Julie:
I did not mash the cranberry beans because it has hancur thru the cooking process since I used slow cooker.
Maybe can add more water into the porridge while cooking, this will prevent the texture becomes sticky.
I did not know that onion will cause gassiness. Thanks!
Hope that Jonathan will like marmite. It taste great with porridge or rice.

Yugene:
I seldom add meat into Sarah's food as I hardly get fresh one over here. Anyway, it is a great suggestions. Thanks!

UmmiRosma said...

The crispy topping may be cause by over-baking. But some cakes have crispy tops because of the sugar content. But if the top softens after a few hours..so it means your cake is OK...

UmmiRosma said...

One more thing...Sarah has not eaten the normally cooked rice?

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Ummi:
Sarah has started eating rice many many mths ago. She loves rice. Those food posts in my blog are her lunch. Dinner time, she will eat rice with vege or soup.
Oh ya, I think the cake topping might be over-baked.
About the sugar content, I am following the recipe and have cut down by half.
Erm, the crispy topping remained crispy after few hours.

Kristie said...

Lucky sarah always have so many menus for lunch and dinner :)

Kristie said...

also good job on the butter cake!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Kristie:
Thanks for your comment about the butter cake. I hope the outcome will be better in my next attempt.
About Sarah's food, she will just eat plain rice with soup for dinner. Her lunch got more variety than dinner.

Qistina's Mama n Abah said...

Wah..Joanne you're a good baker now ya. Hmmm..when am I going to bake for my own..hehehe...

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Sha:
No lah, where got "good baker", just started learning.
Once you have started to bake your first cake, then the "baking spirit" will never stop!