Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Silk Squash and Potato Porridge

This is a new type of vegetable I introduced to Sarah today – the silk squash.



I often see silk squash in the marketplace but I have no idea how it taste like (with the weird look of it). I am not daring to try until I saw Mery feed it to her son.

So finally I’ve bought one yesterday and used it to cook porridge. Besides silk squash, I also used potato as an ingredient in this menu.



In order to enhance the sweet taste of the porridge, I have added in two small slices of ginger and also half a tea spoon of anchovies powder…

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OUTCOME:

It is not a bad attempt though; the porridge turned out nice and tasty although it looks plain. My decision to add in the ginger and anchovies powder was proven right as they really brought out the flavour of the silk squash.

Sarah just loved this vegetable very much, and she finished the porridge as well.




P/S: Thanks Mery for sharing this great information about Silk Squash.

10 comments:

Kristie said...

interesting mix.. so the texture before cooking this squash is like cucumber? crunchy?

LittleLamb said...

Have u tried Sarah on rice yet?
Last Sunday, I tried giving Philip rice. Then during this week, I gave him porridge again, he totally rejected. Then I feed rice, he eats. I got a feeling Philip didnt like porridge anymore :( I worried whether he totally digest or not *sigh*

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Kristie - Yes, before cooking it is quite crunchy but after cooked, it has a very soft texture. Is nice..

Rachel - Yes, I have started feeding Sarah about two months ago. So far she is okay with eating rice as she can chew and digest well. But sometimes she will feel bored with rice, so I have to alternate my meals with noodles and also porridge.
- Hmm....I think maybe Philip prefer the chewy texture of rice. So he likes it more than porridge. Do you think that he is able to chew the rice well? If yes, I think the digestion should be ok. But if you think that he cant chew properly, then maybe you need to cook the rice more softer and only feed him.
Good Luck!

MommyAngel said...

Nice try. I always wanted to try silk squash for Angel but before I manage to cook for her, it all end up in our tummy (because I love silk squash a lot) :) :)

I have seen that you tried eggplant for Sarah already, I am eager to try that too but no idea how to make it tasty in porridge yet :)

Kristie said...

interesting! so u can use it in soups as well ya?

Serene said...

Yo.. another good try huh! My hubby love silk squash alot.. But i didn't know it can be cook with porridge too wor.. Thanks for sharing!!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Kristie - I have yet to try to use it in soup. I think will try later...hehe.

Serene - Thanks!
- Ooo..your husband love silk squash ya? I think it is good with tofu. Haha...yes, I just give a try using it to cook with porridge, and it turned out quite good!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Caroline - I also love silk squash but I never try to cook it and buy it. I always eat it when we are dining in restaurant..So normally how do you cook it?
- You have saw the eggplant porridge hor..I also need some advice from others on how to make the porridge tasty (luckily Sarah likes it). Anyway, if you managed to find out the solution, tell me ya..hehe.

MommyAngel said...

JT, normally I will just fried the silk squash with eggs, something like a silk squash omellete :) Try it, very nice :)

Oh .... about the eggplant, I will try to look for some other options la coz the only one I know is deep fried into yong tau foo but I don't think I will want to feed Angel with such oily food yet :) Ok .... I will surely let you know if I manage to find one :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Caroline - I think I have heard of the same method in making the silk squash omellete from my multiply blogging fren. Meaning you just use garlic to fry the silk squash?
- Hehe..Yalor, normally eggplant taste nice if we make it like yong tau foo..
- Ok, will wait for your eggplant recipe. Thanks!